Changing out 22" wheels for 20" wheels - Page 2 - Infiniti QX80 Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 02-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by legrillenoir View Post
I recently bought the 2014 QX80. After test driving both the base model with the 20" wheels and the high-end model with 22's, I asked my dealer to switch out the 22's for the 20's mainly because my wife, who has a chronic back problem, couldn't tolerate the ride with the 22's. The dealer changed the wheels to the 20's, we test drove the vehicle twice, and my wife loved it both times. I also noticed a big difference in "smoothness," which I expected because the metal-to-rubber ratio drops with the wheel size. Anyway, it rides like a dream now and we are very happy (but still in the honeymoon period).
thanks for that review, amazing. good to know it makes that much of a difference. i can imagine how sensitive her back is to the rougher ride of the 22's. I take it that 20's make a big difference.



Luxurious is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 01-07-2018, 11:06 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1
Default even smaller?

Hello all
I just purchased a 2014 QX80 and am looking into getting a second set of wheels(rims & tires) I want to smooth out the ride but i also want to improve traction in off-road applications and snow. my used ride had the 22's on it and thus far I have not been able to find any options that will keep the total circumference of the OEM tires but diminish the rims size to say 16 or 18" has anyone on the forum done this or can some one direct me a thread I should be reading. thanks in advance
maxpain is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 01-04-2019, 01:55 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: San Diego California
Posts: 13
Default

I have the 22' wheels that came standard on the car but I wanted more capable 4x4 tires for weekends in the desert and I got the stock 20' wheels and put on the Nitto Ridge Grappler Tires. I now use the Nitto Ridge Grappler Tires with the 20' wheels as they eat up every little pot hole in San Diego like nothing. The ride has become incredibly smooth and amazing. The 22's look really cool don't get me wrong and are super quite and fast but if you want an aggressive looking 4x4 with soft supple ride the 20's are where its at.
SDQX80 is offline  
 
post #14 of 18 Old 01-06-2019, 10:28 PM
Junior Member
 
familytruckster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3
Default 22's with AT tires ride smooth, no twitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDQX80 View Post
I have the 22' wheels that came standard on the car but I wanted more capable 4x4 tires for weekends in the desert and I got the stock 20' wheels and put on the Nitto Ridge Grappler Tires. I now use the Nitto Ridge Grappler Tires with the 20' wheels as they eat up every little pot hole in San Diego like nothing. The ride has become incredibly smooth and amazing. The 22's look really cool don't get me wrong and are super quite and fast but if you want an aggressive looking 4x4 with soft supple ride the 20's are where its at.
I couldn't give up on the 22's...

Just installed the Nitto Ridge Grapplers in the 285/55/22 form for a little extra height and width. I must say I am impressed, I had the Pirelli Scorpion’s on the QX with sidewall wear that was inconsistent with the middle of the tire like they were under inflated by the previous owner. They were the 275/50/22 size and I ran them at 35PSI but they felt really twitchy. I have put 10k miles on this car in the last 6 months and was starting to regret the purchase. Anytime the road was uneven the steering wheel would pull like crazy and throw around all the passengers unless I was death gripping the steering wheel. I went to the local Nissan dealer and got an alignment and discussed the issue, but they found nothing and the alignment did not help. After the new tires I still need to get another alignment but it is a night and day difference in steering feel, turns out the Infiniti is nice to drive. I was really thinking there were major suspension issues with the HBMC or something. I have only had them on for the weekend but I am so glad I gave myself that extra 1 1/2” of sidewall for these 10ply tires.

Here are some pics of how they look on the rig I was unable to upload here but I posted them on the other site..... last post in the thread:
https://infinitiforum.net/infiniti-f...t=12674&page=9

It's been a month now and I still love them...
familytruckster is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 01-07-2019, 11:23 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: San Diego California
Posts: 13
Default 285/55/r22

This is great to hear that the 285/55/R22 size fits without any needed tweaking on the vehicle. I have heard death stories about the ABS system engaging on the freeway when people went to 305/45/R22. I can't wait to try out the 285/55/R22. Does it handle better in the turns as well with more grip?
SDQX80 is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 01-17-2019, 07:58 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Midlothian, VA
Posts: 4
Default

These are all valid and well thought out responses. But, if you really want 20's, you could have saved a lot of money and just purchased a Nissan Armada or the base QX80. Basically the same vehicles, with 20 inch wheels/tires.

As for ride comfort, ditto for the Nissan Armada or base QX. But, just think about 22 inch wheels, tires and what translates to a beefy, huge land yacht the top INFINITI QX80 is. It makes such a statement, that what you see is what you get.

If you want to float, get a Lexus LS.
QX8E is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 01-17-2019, 10:07 PM
Junior Member
 
familytruckster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDQX80 View Post
This is great to hear that the 285/55/R22 size fits without any needed tweaking on the vehicle. I have heard death stories about the ABS system engaging on the freeway when people went to 305/45/R22. I can't wait to try out the 285/55/R22. Does it handle better in the turns as well with more grip?
It handles amazing! These tires are way ahead of the K02’s in my opinion. I put these on my Armada and my work truck 2500 RAM Diesel, they slip and slide all over when it gets slick out. We had freezing rain here last night and the QX kept it’s composure like it was riding on an ice tire. In the dry these tires stay firm and keep the HBMC doing what it’s supposed to, keep it level and tight in the corners. The more I drive on these it reinforces the price I paid for them, totally worth it!
familytruckster is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 01-17-2019, 10:16 PM
Junior Member
 
familytruckster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QX8E View Post
These are all valid and well thought out responses. But, if you really want 20's, you could have saved a lot of money and just purchased a Nissan Armada or the base QX80. Basically the same vehicles, with 20 inch wheels/tires.

As for ride comfort, ditto for the Nissan Armada or base QX. But, just think about 22 inch wheels, tires and what translates to a beefy, huge land yacht the top INFINITI QX80 is. It makes such a statement, that what you see is what you get.

If you want to float, get a Lexus LS.
I personally bought the Infiniti because I love the comfort, reliability, size, towing capacity, and captains chairs for the kids. Other important factors were the cooled/heated seats and interior layout. This is where the Lexus looses me, the interior is clunky, not refined like the Infiniti. The resale on those are also redick, putting it out of my $35k price point for a used rig with 60k miles.

Now that I own it, after previously having a 2013 Armada, I LOVE the HBMC and am glad I splurged for it. I can’t wait to take her off road and really put the hydrolic suspension without sway bars to work! It is an Articulation Badass.
familytruckster is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome