Infiniti QX80 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, while having my winter tires changed I was shown these leaking areas. I was told the compressor was working okay, though I needed to replace all the lines and suspension. Cost $4,600 + tax Canadian. Ideas? Is it worth trying to just replace the gaskets in the leaking lines on both sides (they said it wasn't worth it)? It's a 2016 Limited QX80 with 70,000km on it, in the Toronto area. Looks like I can't go to a mechanical system because I have the deluxe technology package which includes a hydraulic suspension in addition to the air suspension (which I understand is incompatible w/ the strutmasters system).

While they showed me the leak in Oct, my compressor does not stay on for very long, and the vehicle still seems to stay fairly level. I still wonder if I could just replace the hoses that are leaking...or clamp them or something?

Any input would be appreciated.

· Registered
6 Posts
I think your dealer wants to make a lot of money of you. 70k km and want to replace shocks? And airlines? This makes no sense. Shocks and struts are designed to 100,000 miles! Unless you have a lot of potholes in Toronto :).

Did they detect a leak? Where specifically? The compressor can be working ok but it is often that it develops a leak. i have hard time to believe the airlines are leaking in random places. If anything they would leak at fittings. This is simple to check. Spray soapy water on them. Shocks over time will develop leaks. Airbags are made from rubber and they continuously roll up and down. The rubber airbag will develop fine cracks over time and will drive shock replacement. but not at 70k km! I have 2014 with 120k miles. It has the similar problem. Rear drops after sitting for 1 hour. When engine runs it still keeps the level but compressor is running more often. My shocks are $280 a piece (no hydraulics) yours unfortunately are $800 a piece. Also much more messy work with bleeding hydraulic lines and such. Also after replacement only dealer can set the height properly.

Again I would ask the dealer to show you where is the leak. They cannot just say they want to replace entire suspension because they are too lazy to figure out where the leak is. And if they are, you need to get a spray bottle with soap and start spraying yourself. The compressor itself is the culprit as it develops internal leaks. If you are determined to have dealer do something I would start with replacing just the compressor. It’s $400. And then see if the problem is fixed. but again they should tell you where the leak is instead of asking for $4600 plus tax.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think your dealer wants to make a lot of money of you. 70k km and want to replace shocks? And airlines? This makes no sense. Shocks and struts are designed to 100,000 miles! Unless you have a lot of potholes in Toronto :).

Did they detect a leak? Where specifically? The compressor can be working ok but it is often that it develops a leak. i have hard time to believe the airlines are leaking in random places. If anything they would leak at fittings. This is simple to check. Spray soapy water on them. Shocks over time will develop leaks. Airbags are made from rubber and they continuously roll up and down. The rubber airbag will develop fine cracks over time and will drive shock replacement. but not at 70k km! I have 2014 with 120k miles. It has the similar problem. Rear drops after sitting for 1 hour. When engine runs it still keeps the level but compressor is running more often. My shocks are $280 a piece (no hydraulics) yours unfortunately are $800 a piece. Also much more messy work with bleeding hydraulic lines and such. Also after replacement only dealer can set the height properly.

Again I would ask the dealer to show you where is the leak. They cannot just say they want to replace entire suspension because they are too lazy to figure out where the leak is. And if they are, you need to get a spray bottle with soap and start spraying yourself. The compressor itself is the culprit as it develops internal leaks. If you are determined to have dealer do something I would start with replacing just the compressor. It’s $400. And then see if the problem is fixed. but again they should tell you where the leak is instead of asking for $4600 plus tax.

Thanks Pete. I took a picture of the leaking areas (click this here). Seems like that rubber hose or even just the fitting could be replaced? Though their opinion is the entire system needed to be replaced. Any thoughts would be appreciated. And as far as I can tell the vehicle seems to be level still.

· Registered
6 Posts
Hmm...This is somewhat confusing. I think you are talking about two different systems. You are mentioning air compressor and leveling but the pictures show hydraulic fittings and fluid leak of HBMC system. Rear leveling system (two rear shocks with air bags with air compressor) do just that. Levels the car to compensate for heavy cargo load or attached trailer. It has pneumatic line fittings that don't leak fluid. HSBC is a hydraulic system that reduces body motion in cornering situation. I makes your QX80 ride more stable. If your QX80 has air system operating properly the car will be leveled regardless if HSBC is leaking fluid or not. None of my QX80's had HBMC as I avoided it for this very reason that repairs cost would be outrageous. I would do one of two things... Just keep it the way it is if the leak is small and not change anything until you are ready to change shocks later down the road. The rear leveling system should work regardless and you should have properly leveled car. When your shocks deteriorate and/or leak gets really bad I would put standard OEM front and rear shocks and get rid of the HSBC all together. I am not sure if this would set any code so this part would need to be researched and consulted with the dealer. You need to realize this is a messy job to fix leaks of this system and they probably don't want to deal with it unless they replace the entire system and charge you arm and leg for it. The other concern they may have is that after putting all this time to drain the fluid, attempting to fix the leak on old hoses it will leak again there or in another place if system is deteriorating. And you will be unhappy with their service. So I get this part. Second thing I would do is to check with an independent shop/mechanic who doesn't care about getting his hands dirty if you want to save money and will replace the leaking fitting. It is a bad situation to replace expensive shocks before the end of their usable life just because of the fitting leaks.

And one last thing...It is hard to see where the leak actually occurs. I would wash this area completely and put a chalk line (or some other powder that sticks) and then inspect it after few days. This will give you indication where it actually leaks and it will show you an estimated leak rate. It maybe that the leak is insignificant and that you can live with it. This is not the brake system we are talking about it that is critical to safety.

· Registered
6 Posts
I looked at these pictures again and it seems the fluid is seeping between the hose and the rubber sleeve. I would take it to an independent mechanic, cut the hose shorter, make a connection and extended the length with the new hose to the fitting. You may want to buy a fitting from the Infi dealer. I am not sure if these fittings are standard hydraulic fittings.
And just an observation...you have a lot of surface rust and oxidation there caused by salt and brine caked on underbody. Once you done with your project and winter is over I would wash the underbody and spray with fluid film or equivalent, if you want to preserve the frame and chassis... unless you are already thinking about a new QX80 :). .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts